What to do NTLDR is missing?
In this article we will discuss the main ways to overcome and fix the error NTLDR is missing.
Why is the error NTLDR is missing?
This error message usually appears in cases where the system loader has lost access to the shared boot files "Ntldr" and "Ntdetect.com" In this case, the computer simply cannot start its normal operating system boot.
Experts identify the following reasons:
- Too many files in the NTFS partition system. Simply deleting files from the partition will not resolve the error.
- The conflict between the two operating systems Windows XP and Windows NT, simultaneously installed on the same computer.
- Ntldr and Ntdetect.com boot files themselves can be deleted as a result of user actions or software failures.
- The error appears as a result of changing the active partition.
- Computer hardware errors - hard drive malfunction, outdated BIOS, connected external or hard drive with another operating system.
What to do and how to fix the error NTLDR is missing?
First of all, before fixing the error, be sure to back up files with important data.
Here are some ways to correct the error:
- Workaround: use your boot disk or USB flash drive with Windows
- Replacing Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files: boot the computer from the installation disk; When the "Install Windows" screen appears, press the "R" button on the keyboard; Select the section where you need to upload files and write the fixboot command.
- You can also contact the Microsoft service and download a utility called Bcupdate2. Download and install the utility. After completion, take the following steps: create a boot floppy and boot the OS from it. Next, in the command line we write “BCUpdate2.exe C: / f”, where C: is the boot partition, and run. Press "y" - received consent to the work of this program from the user. In the case of a successfully completed operation, restart the computer.
- Another option involves connecting a hard disk with a properly running Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server operating system. Using the Disk Management tool, you can check how correctly the partitions are created and select the first partition as the main partition. After that we copy two files into this section: NTLDR and NTDETECT.com from the working OS. After that, you can start the computer from your hard disk and expect the system to work correctly without the NTDLR error is missing.