Signs of rabies
Rabies is a very dangerous disease that is fatal to humans and animals. The disease is transmitted to humans from bitten animals, mostly wild, but also possibly domesticated, which have been bitten by wild animals. That is why you definitely need to know about the signs of rabies in animals.
Signs of rabies in dogs
There are three stages in the development of rabies disease in dogs:
- The prodromal period, or the harbinger of rabies.
- Period of excitement, or stage of violence.
- Paralysis period, or dumb period.
And now about each stage in more detail:
- Prodromal period - this period is characterized by a change in the behavior of dogs in one direction or the other. First of all, the behavior is significantly different from normal. The mood of the dog during this period is variable and can often vary. The dog then barks, then grumbles, growls, trying to hide in a dark place, does not respond to the call of the owner. Moreover, a sudden change of mood can occur, and the animal, as if nothing had happened, is caressed and jumps near the owner.In other cases, the dog may nervously move, tear the ground, all the while listening to something, catching invisible objects with its mouth, that is, “catching flies”. In this period, the excitability is already increased, that is, the dog during the game can bite the hands, be dissatisfied, or attack without cause on other animals, as a rule, dogs. There is a change in food intake, the dog can drop the seized meat, or eat inedible objects. It becomes obvious that the animal is hard to swallow, due to the inflammation of the nerves.
- Period of excitement - signs of rabies are characterized by the manifestation of whole complexes of symptoms. It starts in about 1-3 days. All the above symptoms are aggravated, hallucinations and delirium bring the dog to a violent state. She gnaws and swallows all that horrible, trying to break off the leash, to hide from prying eyes. If she breaks free, then she runs for a long time without stopping, attacking other animals and people along the way. Her sense of fear completely disappears, and the feeling of aggression surpasses all instincts, even the instinct of survival. Signs of paralysis begin to appear, due to inflammation in the spinal cord. Also, the dog's voice is changing, becoming hoarse and long.The dog refuses to eat and water, despite the fact that any kind of water can cause an attack of suffocation, from which came the second name of the disease - hydrophobia or hydrophobia. There is increased salivation.
- The period of paralysis - the first signs of rabies are replaced by paralysis of all limbs and organs. The animal ceases to be aggressive and is no longer able to move.
There are also silent forms of the disease, when the animal tries to slap the host without showing any particular signs of aggression, which is a very dangerous kind of symptom, because the virus is released along with saliva.
Signs of rabies in cats
As a rule, symptoms of rabies in cats are similar to the manifestation of the disease in dogs. But cats, like more distrustful animals, can be hammered into some corner, and sit there until death. In the opposite case, there is a terrible aggression. An animal can throw at people and other animals from an ambush, throw at all parts of the body. Cats are much more dangerous than dogs, because they are endowed with natural flexibility, and if they want to bite anyone, nothing will stop them.Just like in dogs, cats can have quiet rabies, in which they slap their host.
Signs of rabies in humans
As a rule, the first signs appear near the bite site, it starts to numb or itch, then weakness appears, dizziness, a person becomes sick, the temperature rises to 37-38 degrees. After a couple of days, body temperature rises to 40-41 degrees, and the following symptoms of the disease appear:
- Convulsive attacks (twitching of the muscles), which manifest themselves for no reason, or when stimulated by light, a loud sound or a touch.
- Increased saliva secretion.
- Difficulty swallowing food.
- Aggressiveness, excitability, fear of water and light.
After a couple of hours or days, a person develops paralysis, a lack of muscle contraction. As a rule, paralysis causes cardiac arrest and respiration. Death generally occurs one to two weeks after the onset of symptoms.
Now, knowing the signs of rabies in cats and dogs, you can react to a dangerous situation in time. Timely initiated preventive treatment, a guarantee that the symptoms of the disease do not manifest, and the person does not get sick.