How to warm the attic?
Watch the video
When working on the insulation of the attic - a residential attic room - it is very important to choose the right material and technology for the installation of thermal insulation. It is on the solution of these issues depends on the effectiveness of insulation, as well as the safety of operation of this type of premises. Attic rooms often require warming, as a large area of their enclosing structure - the roof. Consider the main points of the work on the attic weatherization.
How and what to warm the attic
For insulation of the attic most often used mineral wool or fiberglass mats. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of each of these materials.
The advantages of glass wool can be attributed to its lower cost compared tomineral wool, ease of installation, high thermal conductivity. Also a very important advantage of glass wool is that it does not contain organic compounds and is completely non-toxic to humans. However, you should be careful when installing glass wool.In the wool there are small specks of glass that can get into the eyes or on the skin, so the installation of fiberglass plates must be carried out in overalls.
It is an environmentally friendly and very light material, which consists of crushed stone powder. Mineral wool has excellent noise absorbing properties.However, at the same time, mineral wool requires isolation from the external environment and is slightly more expensive than fiberglass. But despite this, the use of mineral wool is more advantageous due to the fact that it retains its thermal properties during the entire time of use. As a rule, mineral wool is produced in two types: in the form of rolls and in the form of plates. Rolls of mineral wool is convenient to use for warming horizontal surfaces. The plates are also designed for thermal insulation of walls and vertical bevels.
The process of installing insulation
To work on the attic we will need the following tools:
- long knife or large scissors;
- rubber and ordinary hammers;
- construction stapler;
- personal protective equipment (respirators, gloves, overalls).
- First you need to cut the plates of the desired size. To do this, measure the distance between the rafters and prepare slabs 3 cm wide more than this distance. This will allow the plates to be installed in place and to avoid the occurrence of cracks. Mineral wool is cut very easily with a knife or large scissors.
- Now you need to treat all wooden surfaces with antiseptic material that will protect the tree from insects. Next you can proceed to the installation of crates. It is packed from planks or beams so that in combination with the rafters a flat square is obtained.
- After the crate is completed, you need to proceed to the vapor barrier. It is performed using a special film, a construction stapler and a special tape. The film needs to be fixed torafters and crate with a stapler, and the joint between the seams of the film is made with a special tape, which is sold with this film.
- Next is the installation of the mineral wool plates themselves in the prepared cells. For more reliable fastening of the plate it is very convenient to use a rubber hammer, knocking the plate's perimeter with it.Next, the next layer of vapor barrier film is applied, which is attached to the same battens and rafters. It is very important not to damage the film, as this will necessarily affect the durability of the insulation.
- The final stage is the installation of finishing strips for the installation of the ceiling covering. The final strips are fastened with screws or nails to the rafters along their entire length. Further, it is possible to fasten a steel profile to them, to which in the future it will be possible to easily attach plasterboard sheets.