How to treat psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic non-contagious skin disease, manifested by the appearance on it of areas with severe redness and severe itching.
In the development of psoriasis, hereditary factors play a large role. Therefore, at present it is impossible to achieve complete cure of psoriasis. But properly conducted treatment allows achieving long-term remission of the disease, i.e. states when all its signs disappear. In addition, timely treatment of psoriasis can prevent the development of serious complications of this disease, such as psoriatic arthritis (inflammation of the joints) or erythroderma (appearance of red weeping crusts on the skin).
How to treat psoriasis: outdoor remedies
External agents or topical preparations are applied directly to the areas of skin lesions. For external treatment of psoriasis, the following drugs are most often used:
- Anthralin - the active component of this cream helps to normalize the activity of DNA in skin cells, which leads to a decrease in swelling, itching and slowing down the regeneration of epidermal cells.
- Calcipotriene is a synthetic analogue of vitamin D.With regular application to psoriatic plaques helps to destroy scales, and also slows down their formation.
- Corticosteroid cream. They have a powerful anti-inflammatory effect, reduce itching, redness and swelling, and also slow down the process of regeneration of skin cells and the formation of new scales.
- Salicylic acid - used to remove psoriatic flakes.
- Tar - reduces inflammation, eliminates swelling and itching.
- Tazarok - cream or gel with a high content of vitamin A. This drug slows the growth of skin cells and is used to treat severe forms of psoriasis.
Systemic treatment of psoriasis
External treatment of psoriasis does not always lead to the achievement of a stable positive result. In these cases, it is impossible to do without systemic treatment. Systemic therapy of psoriasis is carried out with the help of two groups of drugs:
- Biologics - are derivatives of some animal proteins. They have a blocking effect on some cells of the patient’s immune system.
- Drugs that affect the process of dividing skin cells.
In case of pronounced rash, accompanied by painful itching, it is recommended to take antihistamine (antiallergic) and sedative (sedative) drugs. During this period, it is advisable to conduct detoxification therapy, which consists in the intravenous administration of saline solutions. With a pronounced exacerbation of psoriasis, the doctor may prescribe an injection of corticosteroid hormones.
Vitamin therapy plays an important role in the treatment of psoriasis. In addition to complex vitamin preparations for psoriasis, an additional intake of vitamin D is recommended.
How to treat psoriasis on the head
Treatment of scalp psoriasis begins with the removal of thick scales from psoriatic plaques. To do this, they are lubricated with creams or lotions containing keratolytic agents (urea, salicylic acid, phenol, lactic acid).
After softening the scales, they are removed from the scalp with a comb with frequent teeth. After that, rinse your hair well with shampoo.
In psoriasis of the scalp, it is useful to use shampoos that contain tar or salicylic acid to wash hair.
How to treat nail psoriasis
Treatment of psoriasis of the nails should be long and complex, carried out on the appointment of a dermatologist. Most often, for the treatment of psoriatic nails are used:
- Calcipotriene is a synthetic analogue of vitamin D, which slows the growth of psoriatic cells.
- Cream with corticosteroid hormones, with powerful anti-inflammatory action.
- In severe psoriasis of the nails, corticosteroids can be injected in the injectable form directly into the nail bed.
- Phototherapy - exposure of the affected areas with ultraviolet rays. To increase the effectiveness of this method of treatment, a nail preparation is applied to the nails - persnolen, which increases the sensitivity of the cells to the effects of ultraviolet radiation.
How to treat psoriasis folk remedies
There are many recipes for the treatment of psoriasis folk remedies. Let us tell you about some of them:
- Lubricate the psoriatic plaques daily throughout the summer with fresh celandine juice. In the autumn-winter period, eat a handful of raw (unroasted) pumpkin seeds daily.With the arrival of summer, begin again to use the juice of celandine. Traditional healers recommend such treatment of psoriasis for at least three years.
- Dry and crush chicory root. Two tablespoons of powder pour a glass of boiling water and leave for about ten minutes. The resulting infusion is used for lotions on the area of skin lesions.