How to determine the quality of honey?
Everyone loves honey. It is natural, tasty, healthy. But how to determine the quality of honey, because you want to be 100% sure that you have acquired a quality product.
Unripe honey we do not need
It is necessary to know that real mature honey is a product of painstaking work of bees, which for a long time were engaged in evaporation of water, enriching it with their enzymes, and decomposing complex sugars into simple ones. Then, the bees usually seal the finished product with wax. Such honey will have all the healing properties, and can be stored for a long time. Unripe honey, which was collected ahead of time, contains a lot of water and does not have healing properties. It can not be stored for long.
To determine the maturity of honey, it must be heated to 20 degrees, while stirring. Mature honey will roll on a spoon even after reheating. Sugar honey is ok. You can warm candied honey a little in a water bath, in order to bring it to its former form. Sometimes you can observe how honey thickens and grows turbid with time - a sure sign that you are not fake honey, but a good quality product.If, even after years of storage, honey does not thicken, it means a large amount of fructose in it. This honey does not have useful properties.
Tests: how to distinguish natural honey
- Dilute honey with water and drip iodine into the solution. If honey with starch or flour - the solution turns blue.
- How to determine the quality of honey directly on the market? This can be done with a chemical pencil. Often, sellers offer to try honey buyers on a piece of paper. Here comes the time for the experiment. Having smeared honey on a piece of paper, try to write something with a chemical pencil through honey. If the blue inscription or divorce appears after a few seconds, you can loudly announce to the seller and all the surrounding buyers that the product contains either flour or starch.
- Add to the aqueous solution of honey vinegar essence. If the solution starts to sizzle, chalk has been added to the honey.
- Prepare an aqueous solution of honey 5% -10% and add a small amount of lapis. If a white precipitate appears, it is a sign of the presence of sugar.
- Drip honey on a piece of paper that absorbs moisture well. If it spreads over the paper, thus forming a wet spot, or leaks through it - this is not a real product, but a fake honey.
- If you take a piece of stainless steel wire, heat it up and put it in a small amount of honey, you can determine if there is any impurity in the honey or not. The fake honey will leave a mark on the wire in the form of a sticky foreign mass. Natural honey will leave the wire clean.
- Add some honey to a cup of warm, weak tea. If you are not deceived, the tea will darken, but no sediment is formed on the bottom.
- This honey does not contain water. If syrup is added to it, it will have high humidity. Let's check it by putting a small piece of bread in a bowl with honey. After 10 minutes, examine the bread. In real honey, bread hardens. In poor quality - it softens and can completely spread out.
How to choose honey
- The difference of high-quality honey is that it does not drain quickly from the spoon. If you take a tablespoon of honey, wind the honey in fast circular movements, good honey will turn up, practically without flowing into the jar.
- Dip a spoon in a jar of honey. Track the nature of the swelling of honey when pulling out a spoon. A good product, forming a ribbon, will form a hillock. At the same time, bubbles are observed on the surface. The fake honey in this case resembles the properties of glue: it will begin to flow freely and even drip down from the spoon,at the same time forming splashes.
- Honey is always sweet. However, some of the varieties have a very specific taste. For example, the bitter taste is different:
- Heather honey tart to taste. Other deviations in the taste qualities of honey signal poor quality. They may also be associated with the presence of impurities. If the honey is fermented, then it will have a sour taste. If there is a smell of caramel, then it was heated. Bitterness can be a consequence of improper storage of poor-quality product.
- The colors of honey can be completely different, and will depend on the variety. Any shade from brown to yellow can occur. For example, a pale yellow, slightly turbid color is the norm for acacia.
- Speaking of color, it is impossible not to mention the fact that some beekeepers prefer to feed the bees with sugar, not taking out to collect nectar. Sugar honey does not contain anything useful, it is not natural. This honey is different unnaturally white.
- The fragrant, incomparable aroma of real honey is very multifaceted. If sugar was added to the product, it would not have flavor.Its taste is reminiscent of sweetened water.
- This honey has a fine and delicate texture. Honey can be easily rubbed between the fingers, which can not be said about the fake. For fake honey, the structure is rather coarse, and when rubbed on fingers, lumps will remain.
Do not believe the sweet speeches of honey sellers, that mountain honey is much better than our usual honey. It's not like that at all. In fact, no special properties of mountain honey is not allocated. The concentration of nutrients and the quality of this product will depend only on the knowledge of the beekeeper and his decency. The ecology of the area where bees live plays a role.
How to buy honey in stock
Before you choose honey to buy in reserve, make sure the quality of a particular product. Take a small amount from a few trusted sellers. Grams of 100 will be enough. Making sure at home, using the recommended experimental methods, as a product, evaluating the aroma, taste, texture, composition of each sample, and choosing the best one, you can safely buy such honey for future use.