How to choose a parrot?
So, you decided to have a feathered pet. The question arises - how to choose a parrot? What should I look for when buying? Let's try together to understand the intricacies of this issue.
How to choose a parrot? Advice
Before you go for a parrot, think about how strong your desire is. After all, the bird requires care, feeding, attention and good attitude. It will also require some material costs: cell, food, accessories, veterinarian. Also find out if you or your family members are allergic to down. If it is, then you will have to say goodbye to the parrot at the first molt. If your intentions are serious and there are no obstacles, go ahead!
- First decide what breed of parrot you want to purchase. If you didn’t have a feathered pet before, then you shouldn’t buy a big parrot. It is better to opt for one of 2 breeds: Corella or wavy. Parrots of these breeds are small: their size is 20-30 centimeters in length. They are relatively unpretentious, tender, have a meek disposition,adapt well to new conditions and to new owners. The advantage of these breeds is also in the fact that they are easily amenable to learning speech.
- How to choose a wavy parrot or a bird of another breed? Pay attention to the plumage: it should be clean, smooth, shiny. If a bird has ruffled rare feathers, muddy eyes, covered eyes, then the parrot is most likely unhealthy. Look at the white spot under the tail - if there are redness or traces of adhered excrement, then the parrot probably has intestinal problems. It is better not to buy such a bird. Feathers on the back should converge at one point - if they are lagging behind each other or intersect, the bird’s skeleton developed incorrectly or the parrot got some kind of injury. The overclavicular parrot stem must be clean and smooth, as are the nostrils. How to choose a parrot boy? It is easy: its supraclavicular cinnamon has a bluish tinge, and the skin of females is pinkish. Also pay attention to the conditions in which the parrot is kept: the cage, the feeding trough must be clean, the drinking bowl with fresh water, etc.
- Buying a parrot is best at exhibitions or from breeders. There you will receive accurate information about the age of the parrot and about the care of this breed.You can buy a bird and a pet store, if there is no other option. You can not buy a bird from your hands: you can sell a sick or illegally exported parrot.
- How old are the birds to buy? Age should be no more than 5-6 weeks - they are easier to tame. Too small chicks are also not worth buying, caring for them is not easy.
- When choosing a bird, look at its reaction to you: if the parrot shows interest to you, reacts to your approach, follows you closely, then this is a good sign! You can safely buy such a bird: in the future you can easily make contact with it and train it to speak.
Now you know how to choose a parrot. Good luck to you!