Healing herbs Ivan-tea - useful properties and contraindications. How to collect and harvest willow-tea at home
What is Ivan tea?
Ivan-tea belongs to the family of the females and is a herbaceous plant of medium height with bright juicy lilac flowers. As a habitat it prefers a temperate climate zone. The largest populations of this medicinal herb are found in dry, sandy areas, clearings and forest edges of the Northern Hemisphere. Ivan-tea is one of the first to colonize soils damaged by powerful fires, but does not like the neighborhood with stronger competitors and instantly disappears from those places where shrubs and trees begin to grow.
In addition to the classical name, Ivan Tea has a whole cohort of other original and vivid names.To some regions it is called a sweetheart or a screech, in others it is a down jacket, and in the third - a breadbasket, in memory of those days of antiquity, when the dried, powdered root of this curative plant was put into homemade cakes to give it special aroma.
Fresh roots, tender young shoots and leaves of the plant are used for making juicy, vitamin salads, and in boiled form they are used as a worthy alternative to asparagus or white cabbage. But most often from willow-tea they prepare curative decoctions, tinctures and the well-known “Koporsky tea”, which enjoyed phenomenal popularity in high society of pre-revolutionary Russia.
How to collect Ivan tea and when?
Collect the willow-tea only in a dry, clear weather. In the period of the beginning of active flowering, it is necessary to catch the moment and to pick the grass exactly when the buds on the hand have not fully opened. Usually the plant blooms at the end of June, and the last flowers are pleasing with delicate petals in the early autumn. In the first decade of August, beans grow on the lowest shoots of willow-tea, inside of which there is a thin down. It is recommended to be very carefully avoided.Under no circumstances should he get into the herbal collection.
Absolutely unsuitable for harvesting as medicines plants living near roadways and autobahns. Weak shoots with severe diseases or visible infectious lesions, too, should not be plucked. They will not bring benefit, but they can do harm with a high degree of probability.
Ivan-tea - how to dry healing herbs for the future?
And the leaves, and roots, and flowers of willow-tea can be dried. Usually it is done in direct sunlight or in an oven preheated to a temperature of 95-110 ° C. Finely chopped parts of the plant are scattered in a thin layer on a baking sheet lined with baking paper, then sent to the oven or put on the street where the sun shines brightly most of the day. There is no clear time for drying. You should focus on changing the shade and the total mass of the willow-tea. When the pieces of the plant darken and begin to resemble classic leafy black tea, they can be folded into a can, tightly sealed with a lid and sent to storage in a dry place.
How to brew Ivan-tea at home
Now that you know where Ivan tea grows, how to collect and dry it, you need to figure out how to properly brew this herb at home to preserve all the healing properties.
Among the sets of recipes and methods of brewing, the following three options are most popular:
Vitamin Cypriot tea
- A glass of filtered water is heated over a large fire and pour boiling liquid 1 tablespoon of ground ivan-tea rootlets.
- Boil for 5-6 minutes, remove from heat, cover with a saucer and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Strain through cheesecloth, folded in several layers, and drink hot with honey or stevia.
Homemade fermented Ivan tea
- Leaves to sort out, rinse under running water, spread a thin layer on a plate or a thick cardboard and leave for one day to dry. Turn the leaves from time to time so that they evenly dry on both sides.
- Gently twisting, in the palms of the hands, wipe dry leaves so that they become dark from the juice that was released during the process.
- From the twisted leaves on the bottom of the enameled vessel lay a layer of not more than 5 centimeters, cover with a wet towel and place in a warm place for 12-14 hours.
- Baking the baking sheet with food parchment, thinly cut the leaves with scissors and spread out on top of a thin layer.
- Place in the oven, preheated to a temperature of 50 ºС and dry, without completely covering the door, until the leaves have a thick dark shade.
- Prepared fermented tea to apply as follows: 1 teaspoon of leaves for 1 cup of boiling water, leave for 10 - 15 minutes.
Broth from fresh leaves of Ivan-tea
- Wash the leaves well, dry a little, put in an enamel saucepan with a thick layer, pour cool water so that it covers the greenery for 10 centimeters.
- On medium heat, bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes.
- Insist 20 minutes under the lid, filter and drink hot or cold.
These drinks can be used by anyone who has previously read the contraindications and has not found any diseases in which they should not drink ivan tea.
Ivan-tea - common beneficial properties
The chemical composition of willow-tea is very rich and diverse, and the components that are useful to humans are found in roots, in leaves, and in flowers. The plant is widely used both in official and in folk medicine for the prevention and treatment of a whole range of all sorts of diseases.
Among all the unique abilities possessed by Ivan-tea, the following healing actions are distinguished:
- diaphoretic (with acute respiratory viral infections and other colds);
- active antibacterial (for all manifestations of stomatitis, sore throat, gingivitis);
- mild sedative (akin to the effects of valerian) with a high level of excitability, insomnia, neurosis, excessive irritability during stressful situations;
- anti-inflammatory, especially in acute diseases of the urinary tract (purulent inflammation, cystitis, prostate adenoma, acute and chronic prostatitis);
- enveloping in gastritis with various types of acidity, colitis, dysbiosis, duodenal ulcer or stomach ulcer;
- restoring and supporting in case of iron deficiency anemia and anemia (due to contained in the composition of ascorbic acid, copper, manganese and iron);
- pain relief for acute migraines and headaches.
Ivan-tea - benefits for women
On the female body, willow tea acts in a completely magical way and helps to cope with a mass of purely “ladies'” problems and difficulties.
- A decoction of healing herbs makes it possible to get rid of infertility and conceive a healthy child.
- Due to the content in the leaves of flavonoids and pectins, willow tea cleanses the body, removes slags, toxins and other harmful substances that settle on the walls of blood vessels and interfere with the full functioning of the vascular system.
- The tincture of herbs and flowers strengthens the hair roots, slows the aging process and gives the skin smoothness, elasticity, tenderness and elasticity.
- The constant use of willow-tea improves the endocrine system, improves the immunity of the whole body and helps to get rid of constipation.
- Drink made from willow tea, acts as a powerful diuretic and allows you to quickly lose weight.
- Tincture of willow tea effectively treats such an unpleasant female disease as thrush.
- The buds and greens contain magnesium, alkaloid and mucus, due to which willow tea acts as an analgesic and choleretic agent.
- Tannins, chlorophyll and carotenoids endow the grass with the ability to heal wounds, cuts and minor scratches.