Features African style in the interior (10 photos)
Coming home from work, everyone dreams to plunge into the atmosphere of comfort. But you also want something unusual and mysterious. All this is combined in the African style. How to decorate an apartment or house in this style?
A bit of history
African style originated not so long ago, namely at the beginning of the last century. Then people began to show interest in the originality, brightness and exoticism of strange African gizmos. The one who was lucky enough to visit this continent, certainly brought with him souvenirs that fascinated, and sometimes hypnotized.
African art struck at the time Modigliani, Picasso and Matisse. And, of course, it could not be reflected in the design of interiors. But this art had the strongest influence on such trends as modernism and abstractionism. One way or another, there were plenty of creative people at the time in Europe, and this was what contributed to the penetration of African trends into the masses.
Many began to design and this style of home, restaurants and bars. Passed a century, but interest in this style has not died away, but only intensified. Today, many designers choose it.
Here are the features of the African style:
- Impulsiveness and dynamism. The interior as if lives its full life. And looking at some things, you might think that they are breathing.
- Simplicity of forms. You will not see any intricate lines and bends in the room, everything is very clear.
- Rough texture. In Africa, they do not think about surface treatment, so roughness and irregularities are welcome. And they make the design especially distinctive and original, giving the room a certain charm.
- Contrasts. The interior combines contrasting colors and textures and seemingly incompatible things and objects. And such games on contrasts allow us to make the room original and unusual.
- Brightness. It would seem, how coarse textures and straight lines can be bright? They can, and it is simplicity and coarseness that make the room bright and eye-catching.
- Use of natural materials. It cannot be otherwise, because in Africa nobody knows about modern materials.In addition, the style implies a unity with nature. The room should be a reflection of the picture of the surrounding world.
How to make an interior?
African style in the interior of an apartment or house is quite simple, but still the design has its own specific rules, principles and subtleties. Let us list a few important points.
Colors and prints
When decorating the interior is better to use natural calm colors. Almost all shades of brown are appropriate: from sandy to brown. Also used are sunny yellow, orange, amber. Actual and shades of green: grass, marsh, olive.
A bright accent can be fiery red, brick, terracotta, or even turquoise and blue. You can stop the choice and soft pastel colors, such as beige, milk, peach, ivory and others. Black and white colors in the interior can also occur, but they are used more for framing or for contrast.
Prints, of course, should also be reminded of the wildlife and culture of Africa. Relevant animalistic and plant drawings, as well as abstract geometric.Tiger and leopard coloring, images of animals, palm trees, diamonds, triangles and so on are welcome.
Materials and finishing
As already noted, mainly natural materials are used for decoration: ceramics, wood, stone, fabrics, rattan, leather, furs and animal skins, and so on.
There are many options for finishing the room. Here are some of them:
- Walls can be painted. And if you want your room to resemble an African clay hut, then use the crackle technique, which will allow you to get cracks on the surface, similar to natural and real ones. You can buy a special craquelure varnish and cover the painted walls with it. Also you can use textured plaster. Wallpaper is also suitable, but it is better to stop the choice on monophonic or decorated with animal paintings. And you can also cover the wall with a cloth. A mosaic tile with an animal pattern will suit the bathroom.
- Floors can be decorated with decorative tiles that imitate natural stone. But if such a coating seems to you too cold and gloomy, then you can opt for the floorboard.In addition, choose a carpet that mimics the mat, or large-format bamboo plates. Anyway, the coating should be dull. Relevant will be rough textures.
- The ceiling can be trimmed with wooden beams, fixing on them bamboo or reed stalks. Also fit bamboo tiles and natural fabric.
Choice of furniture
Furniture occupies a special place in the African interior. Here are its main features:
- Simplicity and coarseness of forms. Choose rectangular coarse chairs, chairs and sofas.
- Natural materials. It is best to choose pieces of furniture from rattan, bamboo, wood. Wicker chairs, tables, armchairs and even sofas are relevant.
- Upholstery can be made from animal skins, natural coarse fabrics, leather (including reptiles) or suede.
- Furniture items can be decorated with carvings, ornamental painting, and fur.
- Forged items are acceptable, but forging should not be too intricate or subtle.
- All items should be simple and concise, but functional and comfortable, because everyone dreams of comfort.
Decor and accessories
Do not think that Africans never thought and do not think about decorating their homes.So there are plenty to choose from, there are quite a few options for accessories and decorative elements:
- Be sure to use textiles. It can be all kinds of bedspreads pillows curtains, rugs, napkins. Geometric ornaments and animalistic prints are appropriate and welcome.
- Use animal fur and skins. For example, the skin can be spread on the floor or hang on the wall.
- Paintings with images of African landscapes and animals, as well as in the style of wall cave drawings or the so-called primitive painting.
- Panel of wood, fabric or leather.
- Thatched coasters for plates, glasses or vases.
- Ceramic or earthenware: vases, plates, jugs, pots and more.
- Various African amulets, statues, masks.
- Figures of exotic animals (elephants, giraffes, hippos).
- Heads, horns or fangs of animals. All this can be placed on the wall.
- African spears or knives.
- Wooden or leather-covered boxes.
- Wattled lamps and lampshades.
- African musical instruments: tambourines, drums.
Some useful tips:
- African-style design should still be concise, so do not clutter up the room with furniture and decorative elements.
- When purchasing African figurines or amulets, find out their meaning (some masks are a symbol of death or fear).
- Do not overdo it with flowers! They should not be too much, otherwise the room will seem motley. 2-3 basic tones and 1-2 bright ones playing the role of accent will be enough.
Create your original and unique interior design!